Stuart has been a member of the Knox Faculty since 1996. His research interests and publications are focused on both seventeenth century Scotland and contemporary religion in Canada, in particular religious demography and history related to The Presbyterian Church in Canada.
Stuart’s teaching areas include the global history of Christianity, the reformation era, the history of The Presbyterian Church in Canada, and the various explanations for changes which have occurred related to the place of religion in Western societies. Stuart is a member of the Presbytery of Brampton and serves as Minister-in-Association at Clarkson Road Presbyterian Church, Mississauga.
- Global history of Christianity
- Reformation era
- Sixteenth and Seventeenth century Scottish history; witchcraft accusations
- Canadian Church history, particularly Presbyterian history
- "John Knox, the Scottish church, and witchcraft accusations" – Sixteenth Century Journal.
- "Counting Witches: illuminating and distorting the shape of witchcraft accusations in Scotland" – Journal of Scottish Historical Studies.
- Stuart Macdonald and Daniel MacLeod, eds., Keeping the Kirk: Scottish Religion and Home and the Diaspora (Guelph: University of Guelph, 2014).
- "Creating a Useable Past: Retelling Christian History for the Twenty-first Century" CSCH Presidential Address 2015, Canadian Society of Church History Papers, 2015, 141-155.
- "The Changed (and Changing) Face of Church History" in Toronto Journal of Theology, Supplement 1, 2015, 29-42.
- "Loss of Memory in the Diaspora: The Debate around the Relocation of the Statue of Margaret Wilson at Knox College, Toronto" in Daniel MacLeod and Stuart Macdonald, eds., Keeping the Kirk: Scottish Religion and Home and the Diaspora (Guelph: University of Guelph, 2014), 225-250.
With Dr. Brian Clarke:
- "No Need to Turn out the Lights: Anglicans in Canada in the Twentieth and the Twenty-first Centuries" in Sean A. Otto and Thomas Powers, eds., Reformation Worlds: Antecedents and Legacies in the Anglican Tradition (New York: Peter Lang, 2016), 199-212, with online graphs.
- Leaving Christianity: Changing Allegiance in Canada since 1945. Montreal & Kingston: McGill-Queens University Press, 2017.
|Knox College||Regular Faculty |