email@example.com | 416-978-4511
Professor Ernest van Eck is professor in New Testament at Knox College. Professor Ernest van Eck (BA, BA [Hon], MA [Greek], BD, MDiv, DD), obtained all but the BA-degree from the University of Pretoria. His two master’s degrees focused on different aspects of space used in secular and religious narratives, and in his DD-thesis, obtained in 1993, the focus was a social-scientific interpretation of ideological/political use of space in the gospel of Mark. He has authored 55 and co-authored 34 peer reviewed articles, 13 chapters in international publications, and his latest monograph, focusing on parable research, is titled The parables of Jesus the Galilean: Stories of a social prophet. He has successfully supervised 39 Master’s and 26 PhD students. Professor Van Eck is member of the New Testament Society of South Africa, the USA-based Context Group, Studiorum Novi Testamenti Societas, the international Society of Biblical Literature. Professor van Eck is the assistant-editor 0f HTS Teologiese/Theological Studies since 2021.
- Social-scientific criticism and ideological-critical reading of the parables of the historical Jesus
- Historical Jesus studies
- Sexuality in ancient texts
- Post-colonial hermeneutics
- Narratology and literary theories
- Van Eck, E., 2016, The parables of Jesus the Galilean: Stories of a social prophet, Cascade Books, Eugene. (Matrix: The Bible in Mediterranean Context).
- Van Eck, E., 2017, Realism and method: The parables of Jesus’, Neotestamentica 51(2), 163-184.
- Van Eck, E., 2019, ‘A Samaritan merchant and his friend, and their friends: Practicing life-giving theology’, HTS Teologiese Studies/Theological Studies 75(1), a5499. https://doi. org/10.4102/hts.v75i1.5499.
- Van Eck, E., 2019, ‘A realistic reading of the parable of the Lost Coin in Q: Gaining or losing even more?’, HTS Teologiese Studies/Theological Studies 75(4), a5656. https://doi.org/10.4102/hts.v75i4.5656.
- Van Eck, E., 2020, ‘A theology of marriage: A biblical or a cultural construct?’, HTS Teologiese Studies/ Theological Studies 76(4), a6027. https://doi.org/10.4102/hts.v76i4.6027.
- Van Eck, E, 2021, “The land is ours, not yours: Land as life and end of life in the parables of the Galilean”, Stellenbosch Theological Journal 7(1), 1–22. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.17570/stj.2021.v7n1.a09.
- Ntem, G.S., & Van Eck, E, 2021, “An African Biblical interpretation of Matthew 20:1–15 in relation to social justice for workers in Cameroon”, Stellenbosch Theological Journal 7(1), 1-20. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.17570/stj.2021.v7n1.a12.
- Mundenda, D. & Van Eck, E., 2021, ‘The parable of the persistent widow and the unjust judge: A replica of the suffering of widows in Zimbabwe’, Verbum et Ecclesia 42(1), a2244. https://doi.org/10.4102/ ve.v42i1.2244.
- Van Eck, E., 2022, ‘Reading the text does matter: Texts as symbols of personal and social transformation’, in E-M. Becker, A. Standhartinger, F. Wilk & J. Herzer, Reading the New Testament in the manifold contexts of a globalized world: Exegetical perspectives, Narr Francke Attempto Verlag GmbH + Co. KG, Tübingen [Forthcoming).
|Appointment Status||College||TST Teaching Category|
|Knox College||Regular Tenure Stream |