PhD (St. Michael's)
email@example.com | 416-926-7267
John L. McLaughlin was born and raised in Saint John, NB, and misses the Atlantic Ocean, fog and dulse. He earned a BA (Philosophy Honours and English Major) from St. Thomas University, Fredericton, NB, and an MA in Philosophy from the University of Toronto. He studied Theology and Scripture at the University of St. Michael’s College, where he earned an MDiv and PhD. After teaching at Wheeling Jesuit University in Wheeling, West Virginia for seven years, Professor McLaughlin joined the Faculty of Theology at the University of St. Michael’s College in July 2002. He is Professor of Old Testament / Hebrew Bible and Interim Dean of the Faculty of Theology, and an Associate Member of the Graduate Faculty, Dept. of Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations, University of Toronto. He served nine years as the Director of Advanced Degree Programs and a previous term as Interim Dean in the Faculty of Theology, and as the Acting TST Graduate Coordinator. He is a past President of the Canadian Society of Biblical Studies and currently serves as an Associate Editor of the Catholic Biblical Quarterly and on the Editorial Board of the Journal of Hebrew Scriptures and the International Advisory Board of Logos: A Journal of Eastern Christian Studies.
- Israelite Origins
- Ancient Israelite Religion
- Pre-exilic Prophets
- Wisdom Literature
- Hebrew Poetry
- The Questions of Jesus. Reprint; Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2020.
- Parables of Jesus. Reprint; Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2020.
- Justice in the Balance: Learning from the Prophets. Reprint; Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2020.
- An Introduction to Israel’s Wisdom Traditions. Grand Rapids: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., 2018.
- What Are They Saying About Ancient Israelite Religion? Mahweh, NJ: Paulist Press, 2016.
- The Ancient Near East: An Essential Guide. Nashville: Abingdon Press, 2012.
- Justice in the Balance: Learning from the Prophets. Ottawa: Novalis Press, 2008.
- "Is Amos (Still) Among the Wise?" Journal of Biblical Literature 133 (2014): 281–303.
- “Wisdom Influence.” In The Oxford Handbook of Wisdom and the Bible, edited by Will Kynes, pp. 409–22. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2021.
- “Marzeah Papyrus.” In Encyclopedia of the Bible and Its Reception. Vol. 17, Lotus–Maskerah, edited by Christine Helmer, et al., cols. 1236–37. Berlin/Boston: Walter de Gruyter, 2019.
- “Wisdom from the Wise: Pedagogical Principles from Proverbs.” In Religion and Education in Antiquity: Essays in Honour of Michel Desjardins, edited by Alex Damm. SHR, vol. 160, pp. 29–54. Leiden/Boston: Brill, 2018.
- “Charismatic Leadership Models.” The Bible Today 56 (2018): 215-19.
- “Moses in Ben Sira.” The Bible Today 55 (2017): 335-40.
- "Religion of Ancient Israel." In Anselm Companion to the Bible, edited by Corrine L. Carvalho, pp. 152-67. Winona, MN: Anselm Academic, 2014. Also printed in Anselm Companion to the Old Testament, edited by Corrine L. Carvalho, pp. 150-65. Winona, MN: Anselm Academic, 2014.
- "Why Does God Have Many Names in the OT and Why Do We Need Them?" In Pastoral Essays in Honor of Lawrence Boadt, C.S.P.: Reading the Old Testament, edited by Corrine L. Carvalho, pp. 57-69. Mahwah, NJ: Paulist Press, 2013.
|Appointment Status||College||TST Teaching Category|
|St. Michael's College||Regular Tenure Stream |