Reid B. Locklin is Associate Professor of Christianity and the Intellectual Tradition at the University of Toronto, a joint appointment with St. Michael’s College and the Department for the Study of Religion. His research focuses on a range of issues in Comparative Theology and Hindu-Christian Studies, particularly the engagement between Christian thought and the Hindu tradition of Advaita Vedanta. He is author, editor or co-editor of five books, including Liturgy of Liberation (Peeters, 2011) and Vernacular Catholicism, Vernacular Saints: Selva J. Raj on “Being Catholic the Tamil Way” (SUNY, 2017). Dr. Locklin grew up in Athens, Georgia, completed a BA in Humanities at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, a MTS from Boston University, and a PhD in Theology from Boston College in 2003. He has taught at the University of Toronto since 2004.
- Interreligious and Comparative Theologies
- Hindu-Christian Studies
- Advaita Vedanta
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
- Editor, Vernacular Catholicism, Vernacular Saints: Selva J. Raj on “Being Catholic the Tamil Way” (Albany, NY: State University of New York Press, 2017). – Finalist, Best Book in Hindu-Christian Studies - History/Ethnography, 2013-2017, Society for Hindu-Christian Studies
- “One Text, Two Declarations: Theological Trajectories from Nostra Aetate,” Theological Studies 78.1 (2017): 49-71.
- A Century of Advaita Mission: Tracing a Lineage and Opening a Conversation,” Journal of Ecumenical Studies 52.4 (2017): 488-526.
- “Beyond Employability: Defamiliarizing Work-Integrated Learning with Community-Engaged Learning” (with H. Brabazon, J. Esmail and A. Stirling), Engaged Scholar Journal 5.3 (2019): 21-41.
- “Ritual and Ritualization in Hindu-Christian Relations,” in The Routledge Handbook of Hindu-Christian Relations, ed. Chad Bauman and Michelle Voss Roberts (New York: Routledge, 2020), forthcoming.
- “A Most Uncommon Task: Arvind Sharma and the Construction of Hindu Missiology,” International Journal of Hindu Studies, forthcoming.
|Appointment Status||College||TST Teaching Category|
|St. Michael's College
University of Toronto
|Regular Tenure Stream |