firstname.lastname@example.org | 416-585-4546
William (“Bill”) Kervin teaches worship and liturgy in both the Basic (Masters) and Graduate (doctoral) degree programs and serves Director of Chapel for the worship life of the college.
Bill was ordained to the ministry of Word, Sacrament and Pastoral Care by the Maritime Conference of The United Church of Canada in 1984 and has served congregations in New Brunswick, Alberta, Papua New Guinea, Nova Scotia and Toronto. He has been active in the production of the United Church’s worship resources, Voices United, Celebrate God’s Presence and More Voices, as a liturgical consultant, committee member, writer and composer. A frequent guest preacher and workshop leader, he also regularly serves as a liturgical and architectural consultant to congregations.
- Liturgical history
- United Church worship
- Eucharistic theology and practice
- Christian initiation
- Liturgical theology, worship and the arts
- Church architecture
- Liturgical inculturation
- Congregational song
- Ritual studies
- "Worship on the Way: The Dialectic of United Church Worship." In The United Church of Canada: A History. Edited by Don Schweitzer. Waterloo, ON: Wilfred Laurier University Press, 2012. pp. 185-201.
- Ordered Liberty: Readings in the History of United Church Worship. Toronto: United Church Publishing House UCPH, 2010.
- Gathered for Worship: A Sourcebook for Worship Committees, Leaders, and Teams. Toronto: United Church Publishing House, 2010.
- "Beyond the Last Supper: The Institution Narrative Revisited." Touchstone. 27/2 (May 2009): 21-31.
- "A Liturgy of Lament." Touchstone (25/1) January 2007: 29-40.
- The Language of Baptism: A Study of the Authorized Baptismal Liturgies of The United Church of Canada, 1925-1995. Drew University Studies in Liturgy. Maryland: Scarecrow Press, 2003.
- A Year of Grace: 365 Mealtime Prayers. European Edition: London, SPCK, 2003. American Edition: Peabody, Mass., Hendrickson, 2003.
- "The Celtic Connection: The Iona Community and Contemporary Worship," Touchstone. 21/2 (May 2003): 6-21.
|Appointment Status||College||TST Teaching Category|
|Emmanuel College||Regular Tenure Stream |
|Course Code||Course Name||Semester|
|EMP5121HF||Liturgy as Ritual||First Semester|
|EMP1101HS||Worship I: Foundations of Christian Public Worship||Second Semester|