Alan Hayes was born and raised in the Bay Area of California, attended Pomona College (BA, 1967), and then studied at McGill University (BD, 1971; PhD in religious studies, 1975). With support from a Canada Council doctoral fellowship he wrote his doctoral thesis on the government office that administered church affairs in England under Henry VIII, 1535-1540. He was appointed to the faculty of Wycliffe College in 1975 where he has taught ever since. He has served in various offices of academic administration, including acting principal of Wycliffe (1998-1999) and director of the Toronto School of Theology (2007-2018). He has been active in various scholarly associations, professional organizations, and church committees, including the Council of the American Society of Church History, the Board of the Historical Society of the Episcopal Church, the editorial board of Anglican and Episcopal History, and the executive of the Churches’ Council on Theological Education in Canada. He is an Anglican priest and an honourary canon of Christ’s Church Cathedral in the diocese of Niagara. He is a member of Alpha Sigma Nu, the Jesuit honour society. He is married to Morar Murray-Hayes, a United Church of Canada minister, and they have two grown children and three grandchildren.
- History of Christianity in Canada
- History of Anglicanism
- Anglicans in Canada: Controversy and Identity in Historical Perspective. University of Illinois Press (2004).
- "Anglican Church of Canada," in J. Gordon Melton and Martin Baumann, eds., Religions of the World: A Comprehensive Encyclopedia of Beliefs and Practices, 2nd ed. (ABC-CLIO 2010), vol. II, 123–125.
- "Anglican Church of Canada," in Charles H. Lippy and Peter W. Williams, eds., Encyclopedia of religion in America, 4 vols. Washington, DC. CQ Press (2010), vol. 1, 360-368.
- " 'Hold onto Your Hats': Vatican II and Aggiornamento in the Anglican Church of Canada," in Michael Attridge, Catherine E. Clifford, and Gilles Routhier, Vatican II: Expériences canadiennes / Canadian Experiences. Ottawa: University of Ottawa Press (2011), 122–147.
- "Anglican Church of Canada," in Ian S. Markham et al., The Wiley-Blackwell Companion to the Anglican Communion. Wiley-Blackwell (2013): 475-488.
- "Sam Blake’s Projects and Ministries: A Canadian’s Church of Ireland Vision," for Journal of the Canadian Church Historical Society 53. (fall 2015): 40–66.
- "Anglican Deaconesses in Canada 1889−1969: Two Operational Models of a Gendered Order of Ministry," for Thomas Power, ed., Old World Antecedents, New World Adaptations. (forthcoming).
- Web publications, periodically updated, include "Early Christianity to 843", found here.
|Appointment Status||College||TST Teaching Category|
|Wycliffe College||Regular Tenure Stream |