Certificate in Spiritual Care and Psychotherapy (Emmanuel College and Knox College)
This conjoint certificate, offered as part of the Master of Pastoral Studies, is designed to equip students to apply to professional bodies for membership, typically with a view to vocations as spiritual care therapists in hospitals, correctional institutions, churches, family therapy practices, private practices, counselling services, palliative care hospices, schools, developmental disability facilities, or the military. The MPS Certificate in Spiritual Care and Psychotherapy Handbook can be found here.
Courses for the current academic year which meet requirements for a specific degree or professional designation are indicated in the Program Requirements section of the course catalogue. Detailed information is given in the course syllabus. If the course syllabus is not attached to the listing, you should contact the instructor.
Application Deadline and Instructions for Certificate in Spiritual Care and Psychotherapy
Deadline: Applications for Admission to Fall 2019 is now open and will close at 4:30 pm EST on April 30, 2019.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applications forms must have an orginal signature (no electronic signatures).
Offers of admission are subject to meeting all admission requirements, suitability to the program and the availability of space and placements. Meeting the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee an offer of admission to the certificate program.
All required application materials (see below) must be received by the application deadline in order for an application to be considered for admission.
Application to the Certificate in Spiritual Care program is made by completing the form using the fillable PDF function and submitting it along with the required attachments and application fee to the TST Registrar at the above address/email. Applications are only considered if all the application material and application fee has been received by the stated deadline.
No deferrals of admission will be granted. Applications for entrance into the certificate at the mid-point of the academic year (January) will not be considered.
All materials submitted to the Admissions Committee may be used in the assessment of an application. Application materials will be destroyed as per the TST document retention policy.
SCP Certificate Application Material
Completed Application Form. The fillable PDF function must be used when completing the application form. The form must be signed with the your original signature.
Personal Statement. You must submit a statement between 500-750 words outlining your academic interests and purposes. This is your autobiographical narrative, your statement of interest and why you are interested in taking the certificate. Your personal statement to be submitted along with your application form as a PDF file. Please ensure that your name and your student number are on your statement.
- Transcripts/Academic History. You must send your unofficial transcript (e.g. scans, copies, or academic history which you have downloaded from ACORN) showing your registration, and if available, the cumulative GPA for the minimum of your first five courses. If admitted, the CGPA will be verified by the TST Registrar. The CGPA taken is that which shows on ACORN, no other calculation will be taken.
- Curriculum Vitae. You must submit a brief 2 page curriculum vitae. The CV should be submitted as a PDF document.
- Spiritual Care Identity Description. You must submit a brief 1-2 page description of your spiritual care identity and your spiritual maturation over time. This should be submitted as PDF document, please ensure that your name and student number are on the document.
- Supervised Pastoral Education. You must submit proof of successful completion or current registration in SPE.
- Application Fee. $30 CDN. Information on how to pay this fee can be found here. This fee is non-refundable.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can TST confirm that my materials have been received? We will confirm receipt of your application form. If you have reason to believe that any other element of your application may not have been received by the TST Registrar, you are welcome to contact firstname.lastname@example.org. During the busier times of the year, however, especially September, January and early April, response times may exceed a week. We therefore strongly encourage you to submit all application materials well in advance of the deadline.
- I have applied for Supervised Pastoral Education (SPE); PCE or CPE, but have not received an offer. Can I still apply? You should indicate in your personal statement that you have applied to PCE or CPE, include the dates and location of the unit you have applied to.
- If I do not receive an offer of admission am I automatically considered for next year? No. You will need to make a new application next year.
- I have been declined admission to the certificate program. Can I appeal the decision? No. An applicant may request the reconsideration of a decision by the Admissions Committee. Such a request must be made by the applicant in writing to the TST Registrar in a letter emailed or delivered within thirty calendar days of the date of the communication of the decision by TST. The request must state in full the grounds for the request. The Admissions Committee will consider the request and make a determination at its next meeting. Decisions made by the Admissions Committee concerning admission and related matters are not subject to appeal.