|Phone:||416-922-5474 ext 253|
Regular Tenure Stream
Sister of the Congregatio Jesu an order founded in 1609 by the Venerable Mary Ward which has the same Constitutions as the Society of Jesus. There are approximately 3000 sisters worldwide. Sr. Gill’s doctoral studies were undertaken at the University of Edinburgh, Scotland, where she was elected a Research Fellow on completion of her PhD She lectured in Systematic Theology for the University of Edinburgh, the Roman Catholic National Seminary in Scotland and the Theological Institute of the Scottish Episcopal Church. In addition she was a regular contributor to BBC Scotland’s 'Thought for the Day' and an active member of 'Church Action on Poverty' an ecumenical organization working for the alleviation of poverty in the UK. Alongside her work as a theologian she undertakes a ministry of spiritual direction and retreat work. She came from Scotland to Canada in 2001. She was appointed by the Canadian Catholic Conference of Bishops to the Faith and Witness Commission (Theological Commission) of the Canadian Council of Churches and she also serves on the Theological Commission of the Conference of Religious in Canada. In 2012 she was appointed by Pope Benedict XVI to be a theological expert at the Synod on the New Evangelization for the transmission of the Christian Faith.
Her interests include swimming, choral singing, baroque music, ballet and hillwalking.
- Theology of Hans Urs von Balthasar
- Contemporary Papacies of John Paul II, Benedict XVI and Francis
- Work of Henri de Lubac and Romano Guardini
- The impact of Mercy on the mission of the Church
- The Ignatian Ecclesial Disposition
- Research Interest in the area of theological anthropology
- Reform, Revival or Reversal: The Reformation 500 Years on: A Response to Ephraim Radner in Pro Ecclesia. Winter 2016.
- A Church of Passion and Hope: The Formation of An Ecclesial Dispostion from Ignatius Loyola to Pope Francis. London: Bloomsbury, 2015.
- "Holiness of Mind and Heart: The Dynamic Imperative of Conversion and Contemplation for the study of Theology." in Ed. James Keating, Entering Into the Mind of Christ: The True Nature of Theology. Omaha: University of Creighton, Institute of Priestly Formation, 2014, 91-119.
- "Hans Urs von Balthasar’s Theology of Vocation" in The Disciple’s Call: Theologies of Vocation from Scripture to the Present Day. London: Bloomsbury, T & T Clark, 2013.
- "Balthasar and The Contemplation of Truth" in ed. Lambert Zuidervaart, Truth Matters. Montreal: McGill Queen’s University Press, 2013.
- "The Irreducible Particularity of Christ in the work of Hans Urs von Balthasar" in International Theological Symposium on The Eucharist as Communion. Maynooth: National University of Ireland, 2012.
- "Rules for Right Thinking with the Church" in Good Shepherds: Living Christ’s Own Pastoral Authority, ed. James Keating. Omaha: Institute of Priestly Formation, Institute for Priestly Formation Publications, 2012, 59-78.
- "Credible Communion – The Witness of Contemporary Religious Life" Pastoral and Homiletic Review, <2012.