PhD (Union Theological Seminary, New York)
firstname.lastname@example.org | 416-585-4534
In 1998, Michael received The United Church’s McGeachy Senior Scholarship for research on the church’s sixth moderator, Richard Roberts, and in 2009 he received the United Church’s Davidson Trust Award for excellence in teaching and scholarship.
Stars, fossils, and the history of just about anything; hiking, cycling, kayaking, cooking, and jazz.
- Constructive, historical, and contextual theologies, especially salvation, redemption, and liberation
- Hope, history, and their relation to salvation and social justice
- The relation of theology and the natural sciences
- Current research interests include the theological history of The United Church of Canada, and the relationship between religious meaning and history and science
- "The Work and Well-Being of Women in American Social Christianity: The Case of Henry Codman Potter (1835–1908)," Union Seminary Quarterly Review Vol. 53 (1999): 125-151.
- "Answering Darwin’s Challenge: Evolution and Evangelicalism in the Theology of Richard Roberts," Historical Papers 2000, The Canadian Society of Church History: 5-22.
- "Prophet of Reconciliation: Richard Roberts (1874–1945)," Touchstone Vol. 19 (January 2001): 51-59.
- "Hope, History, and Redemption in the Theology of Richard Roberts," Toronto Journal of Theology, Vol. 19 (Fall 2003): 157-172.
- All Things Human: Henry Codman Potter and the Social Gospel in the Episcopal Church, Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press (2004).
- "Why Social Theory Matters for Theology," in Don Schweitzer and Derek Simon, eds., Intersecting Voices: Critical Theologies in a Land of Diversity, Ottawa: Novalis (2004), pp. 33-48.
- "Testing van Huyssteen’s Postfoundational Approach to Human Origins," Toronto Journal of Theology, Vol. 26 (Fall 2010): 189-201.
- "Awash in Theology: Issues in Theology in The United Church of Canada," in Don Schweitzer, ed., The United Church of Canada: A History, Waterloo, ON: Wilfrid Laurier University Press (2011).
- “The End of the World As We Know It? (Eschatology),” in Don Schweitzer, Robert C. Fennell, and Michael Bourgeois, eds., The Theology of The United Church of Canada, Waterloo, ON: Wilfrid Laurier University Press, 2019.
- “Illusion and Hope,” in Patricia G. Kirkpatrick and Pamela R. McCarroll, Christian Theology After Christendom: Engaging the Thought of Douglas John Hall, Lanham, MD: Lexington Books/Fortress Academic, 2020.
|Appointment Status||College||TST Teaching Category|
|Emmanuel College||Emeritus |