International Students

Study PermitRegis College Student Lounge

If you are an international student who has been admitted to one of the member colleges of the Toronto School of Theology (TST), your college registrar will send you a letter which you will then use to apply for a study permit. If you have any questions about the study permit, please contact your home college registrar. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have a study permit for the duration of your studies.

Centre for International Experience

Basic degree students who pay incidental fees have access to the Centre for International Experience (CIE) at the University of Toronto. The CIE provides information on any non-academic matter affecting international students. Students can access the English Communication Program - a non-credit program that gives students the opportunity to further develop their communication skills in English, gain insight into Canadian culture and life at the University of Toronto and share cross-cultural experiences. The CIE also provides a wealth of information and advice for students interested in work, study and travel abroad.

Off-Campus Work Permit

New rules that take effect on June 1, 2014, make it easier for study permit holders to work off campus. Full-time students pursuing an academic, professional or vocational training program at a designated learning institution will be:

  • eligible to work off campus without a work permit;
  • allowed to work off campus for up to 20 hours per week during a regular academic session and full time during regularly scheduled breaks; and
  • able to work off campus immediately rather than waiting six months.

To be able to work in Canada, however, you must be registered and enrolled at your designated learning institution, and you must have a Social Insurance Number. On June 1, 2014, if you hold a study permit and a work permit under the Off-Campus Work Permit Program, you may continue to work off campus under your existing Off-Campus Work Permit.

  • On June 1, 2014, if you hold a study permit and you have applied for but not yet received your Off-Campus Work Permit, you should wait until you have received your permit before begining to work off campus.
  • On June 1, 2014, if you hold a study permit but you have not yet applied for an Off-Campus Work Permit, you are authorized to work off campus without a work permit as long as you meet the eligibility requirements for working off campus.
  • If you apply for a study permit on or after June 1, 2014, the conditions relating to your eligibility to work off-campus will be written on your study permit.

In all scenarios, you must continue to meet the conditions of your study permit in order to remain eligible for off-campus work.

Further information can be obtained from the Goverment of Canada's Citizenship and Immigration website.

University Health Insurance Plan

The University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) is a compulsory health insurance plan for all international students, exchange students, new permanent residents and returning Canadians who are not covered by the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP). Please note that since the plan is compulsory, students are advised not to purchase another health insurance plan while in Canada. UHIP is also compulsory for all eligible dependents, including a partner, spouse and/or children. UHIP is comparable (not equivalent) to OHIP in that UHIP provides coverage for the same services for which OHIP provides coverage. However, depending on where you go for health services you are not guaranteed to be fully covered for the entire cost under the UHIP plan. Please refer to the sections on UHIP and Accessing Health Care Services on the CIE website for more information.