email@example.com | 416-978-2793
As Associate Professor of Pastoral Theology and Intercultural Studies at Knox College since 2017, Esther explores the intersection of psychology and Christian thought, with interests in the gendered body, methodological issues in the practice of theology of the Christian life, and the relevance of these themes in the global expression of Christianity.
Her current research focuses on issues around care and counseling with migrant families and implications for intra/interfaith dialogue and spiritual care. She is also interested in cultural anthropological dimensions of medicine, health, and healing, and their implications for suffering, death, dying, and care at the end of life.
- Pastoral Theology
- Intercultural Studies
- Powers, Principalities, and the Spirit: Biblical Realism in Africa and the West (Forthcoming, W.B. Eerdmans Publishing Co. Grand Rapids, MI) February, 2018.
- For Freedom or Bondage: A Critique of African Pastoral Practices (W.B. Eerdmans Publishing Co. Grand Rapids, MI) 2014.
Articles and Book Chapters:
- "The Decline of Established Churches in the West: A Perspective from African Christianity" in Paul Peterson (ed.) The Decline of Established Christianity in the West (Brill – Rodopi, Leiden/ Boston: Brill Publishers, 2017).
- "Pastoral Authority and Responsibility: An African Traditional Leadership Model for Church Governance and Functioning" in Lartey, E. Y. & Tapiwa Mucherera (eds) African Practical Theology, Vol. 1. Pastoral care, health, healing, and wholeness in African contexts (Eugene, OR.:Wipf and Stock Publisher, 2017), Ch 2.
- "In Search of postcolonial African masculinity and spirituality: A Psychohistory of President Kwame Nkrumah of Ghana" Trinity Journal of Church and Theology, 18 no 4 Sep 2015, p 27-52.
- "Hospitality Praxis: African Diasporan Communities, Religion, and the Black Church" in Contours of Black Practical Theology, Dale Andrews & Robert Smith (eds.) (Baylor University Press, 2015) p. 151-162.
- "God Where Are You?: Theological Reflections on HIV/AIDs in Africa" in Bulletin of Ecumenical Theology Vol. 26, 2014. p. 62-81.
- "Culture of War, Violence and Sexual Assault in the Military: An Ethic of Compromise?" in Journal of Pastoral Theology vol. 24, 2. 2014.
|Appointment Status||College||TST Teaching Category|
|Knox College||Regular Tenure Stream |
|Course Code||Course Name||Semester|
|KNP1443HF||Human Growth & Spiritual Journey||First Semester|
|TSJ5021HF||Research and Scholarship||First Semester|
|KNP3502HS||Dying and Suffering Across Cultures||Second Semester|
|KNP6502HS||Dying and Suffering Across Cultures||Second Semester|
|KNP2548HS||Self, Family, Culture: Spiritual Care in Contexts||Second Semester|