The Master of Theological Studies Theology, Spirituality, and the Arts stream is designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary to analyze and interpret the theological dimension of the arts and culture.
The stream is offered by the following colleges: Emmanuel College, Regis College, University of St. Michael's College, Faculty of Theology, and University of Trinity College, Faculty of Divinity.
All courses for full-time and part-time students, including any variation from the norm, require the approval of each participating college’s Basic Degree Director and an advisor for the Theology, Spirituality, and the Arts stream.
This stream in the MTS program:
- Allows students to receive focused academic content in the area of theology, spirituality and the arts within the existing learning objectives and structure of the MTS.
- Explores the range of ways that the arts intersect with theological understanding.
- Builds relationships with artists [painters, sculptors, architects, writers, musicians, performers, filmmakers, etc.] art experts, academics, therapists, and the public and private cultural institutions of Toronto and beyond.
- Supports student exploration of the possible role of theology in arts related vocations.
- Uses interdisciplinary methodologies from theology, aesthetics theory, art history, pastoral theology, liturgy and material culture studies, and other related disciplines.
- Prepares students for preparation for an advanced research degree.
Twenty credits are required to complete the MTS program. It can be done in two years or completed on a part-time basis. A CPGA of 2.7 is required to graduate.
Same as for the MTS at each of the participating colleges with the addition of a declaration of intent to pursue the Theology, Spirituality and the Arts stream. Specific information about the program should be sought from the member college offering the program, as each college sets its own unique curriculum for the program.
For further details about the program, the application process, or to apply, please contact any these four colleges directly.