The Toronto School of Theology (TST), affiliated with the University of Toronto, invites applications for the position of Director. The appointment is for a term of five years commencing July 1, 2019.
This position is open to internal and external candidates, and is a seconded position from a TST member college at 60% time as TST’s Director, and 40% time as a faculty member of a TST member school. For an internal candidate, the position is a secondment from a TST member college. For a successful external candidate, a faculty position will be arranged at a member college.
The Toronto School of Theology (TST), the largest ecumenical consortium for theological education in Canada, is comprised of seven member theological schools: Emmanuel College (United Church of Canada), Knox College (Presbyterian Church in Canada), Regis College (Roman Catholic: Jesuit), St. Augustine's Seminary (Roman Catholic: Diocesan), Faculty of Theology, University of St. Michael's College (Roman Catholic: Basilian), Faculty of Divinity, University of Trinity College (Anglican), and Wycliffe College (Anglican).
TST is fully accredited by the Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada, as are TST’s seven member schools. Academic standards are consistent with those of the University of Toronto, which holds TST accountable through a highly developed process of quality assurance. The TST consortium offers a full range of professional and academic degrees. Degree programs operate at the post-baccalaureate level, and many degrees are conferred conjointly with the University of Toronto. All TST students are registered in a member college; TST itself does not register or admit students in degree programs, and does not confer degrees.
Reporting to the TST Board of Trustees, the Director, in cooperation with the heads of the member schools, is the senior administrative leader at TST and a faculty member of one of TST’s member schools. The Director provides inspirational, strategic, academic, and financial leadership, cooperatively with the seven TST member schools and the University of Toronto.
The Director, in consultation with the Principals/Presidents/Deans of the seven Member Colleges, will:
- ensure the Toronto School of Theology fulfills its mission in an evolving context;
- maintain institutional integrity; and
- build broader institutional capacity.
The Director will achieve these by:
- discerning and promoting a distinctive shared vision for the Toronto School of Theology, and working with others to achieve this vision;
- maintaining institutional Integrity; and
- building institutional capacity.
The complete job description can be viewed here.
- Academic qualifications commensurate with faculty membership in TST’s Graduate Centre of Theological Studies (a PhD or its equivalent in a theological or related discipline)
- Membership on the faculty of a member TST college (either current or expected)
- Thorough knowledge of theological education in Canada and the United States
- Proven administrative and managerial skills and experience
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate, to listen, and to work with and through others
- Excellent communication skills – oral and written
- Commitment to the goals of ecumenism
- Appreciation of the distinctive characteristics of theological consortia
The search committee will begin considering potential candidates as of January 14, 2019 and will continue until the role is successfully filled. Applications should include:
- letter of introduction;
- curriculum vitae; and
- three letters of reference with phone and email contact information (referees will not be contacted without the consent of the candidate).
Forward the above application documents electronically in confidence to:
TST Director Search Committee
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
The Toronto School of Theology is committed to equity in employment and diversity.
View and download a PDF file of this job posting here.
View and download a PDF file of the complete job description here.