Applications to all of the advanced degree programs are made to the Graduate Centre for Theological Studies (GCTS) at the Toronto School of Theology.
Applications are completed online with supplementary documents sent to:
c/o Graduate Centre for Theological Studies
47 Queen's Park Crescent East
Toronto, ON M5S 2C3
Admissions decisions are made by the Admissions Committee of the Graduate Studies Council of the GCTS.
In the application, applicants indicate the member college in which they seek to register. In addition, applicants are advised to contact the Director of Advanced Degree Studies at their selected college of registration, preferably before the application deadline, in order to receive information about financial aid and other aspects of the school’s resources and requirements for advanced degree students.
Applicants who wish to apply for financial aid must do so directly through the member college to which they are applying. Applicants who have applied for financial assistance must make sure that their application, letters of reference, and all supporting documentation be received by the application deadlines.
Application Deadline and Form (MA, ThM, PhD)
Applications are no longer being accepted for academic year 2015-16. Applications for admission to academic year 2016-17 will be accepted beginning in fall 2015.
All required application material (see below) must be received by the application deadline in order to be considered for admission.
International applicants are advised that it is their responsibility to ensure that they are able to obtain the necessary study permits in time for the registration deadline. No deferrals of admission will be permitted.
Application to an advanced degree program is made by completing the online form with required attachments and having the remaining supporting material sent to the Graduate Centre for Theological Studies at the above address. Applications are not processed until all of the material has been received. To request a separate financial aid application form, please contact the member college to which you are applying.
Note: Applications requesting entrance into a programs at the mid-point of the academic year (January) will not be considered.
Required Application Material
- Online Application Form
- Application Fee: $110 CDN ($120 USD). Please see Payment Methods for TST Fees for accepted methods of payment.
- Statement of Intent:The applicant must submit a statement not to exceed 500 words outlining his or her academic interests and academic purposes. PhD applicants will be required to identify the nature of the research topic they would like to explore at TST, along with their methodological and theoretical approach(es). PhD applicants must also identify TST faculty members who could support their research, and should indicate how their previous academic studies and language preparation have prepared them for this research area. A brief 2-3 page curriculum vitae may be submitted by all applicants. The Statement of Intent is to be attached to the online Application Form as a PDF file. The CV may also be attached to the online Application Form.
- Writing Sample: All PhD applicants must submit an academic writing sample (between 20-50 pages) as part of their application. The Writing Sample is to be attached to the online Application Form as a PDF file.
- Evidence of Facility in English (for applicants whose first language is not English): This evidence may be either: (a) graduation with an Arts degree from a University where the language of instruction and examination is English; or (b) a satisfactory score in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic version, or the Certificate of Proficiency in English (COPE); or (c) a grade of B in the advanced (level 60) Academic Preparation course in the English Language Program of the School of Continuing Studies of the University of Toronto, or equivalent standing at a comparable institution. The TOEFL score required for students who take the computer-based test is 250. For those who take the internet-based test, a total score of 100 is required, with a minimum of 22 on the writing section and a 22 on the speaking section. A score of 600, with a 5.0 in the Test of Written English (TWE) is the minimum requirement for those who take the paper-based TOEFL. To request a registration package for TOEFL and TWE examinations, please write to: TOEFL/TWE Services, P.O. Box 6151, Princeton, New Jersey 08541-6151 USA or telephone 609-951-1100. The TST institution code 0655 and the department code 99 should be used. The TOEFL Bulletin of Information and Registration Forms can be obtained in a number of cities outside the U.S. through American embassies or consulates, or offices of the U.S. Information Services (USIS). The minimum IELTS score required is 7.0 (Academic) with no component below 6.5. Only the Academic version of the IELTS test will be accepted. The minimum COPE score required is 76, with at least 22 in every component and 32 in the writing component.
- Official Transcripts: Official transcripts of all postsecondary education must be sent directly by the educational institutions to the Admissions Committee at the address above. All transcripts must be received by the above application deadline. Transcripts issued to students or photocopies will not be accepted.
- Academic References: Two letters of academic reference must be sent directly by the referees to the Admissions Committee at the address above. All references must be received by the above application deadline. References issued to students or photocopies will not be accepted. TST does not provide a letter of reference form but asks that referees write a letter in which they comment candidly on the candidates' qualifications to pursue and complete graduate studies.
- GRE scores (optional). Applicants may submit GRE scores to support their applications. The Toronto School of Theology's institutional code is 0534.
A confirmation fee may be requested by the TST college of registration within a month of acceptance into an Advanced Degree program. Contact the registrar's office of the member college for more information.
If you have questions about the information on this page, please contact the GCTS Administrator.