Applications to all of the Advanced Degree programs are made to the Graduate Centre for Theological Studies (GCTS) at the Toronto School of Theology. Applications are sent to the Admissions Committee, c/o Graduate Centre for Theological Studies, 47 Queen's Park Crescent East, Toronto, Ontario M5S 2C3 (E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org). Admissions decisions are made by an Admissions Committee of the Graduate Studies Council of the GCTS.
Applicants indicate in their applications the member College in which they seek to register. In addition, applicants are advised to contact the Director of Advanced Degree Studies at their selected College of registration, preferably before the application deadline, in order to receive information about financial aid and other aspects of the school’s resources and requirements for advanced degree students.
Applicants who wish to apply for financial aid must do so directly through the member school to which they are applying. Applicants who have applied for financial assistance must make sure that their application, letters of reference, and all supporting documentation be received by the application deadlines.
Application Deadline and Form
Applications are now being accepteded for September 2015 entry into the PhD, ThM and MA programs.
Deadline: January 7, 2015
Late application deadline: March 31, 2015 (late applications will be considered if space permits)
Application to an advanced degree program is made by filling out the online form and sending all of the supporting material to the Graduate Centre for Theological Studies. Applications are not processed until all of the material has been received. To request a separate financial aid application form, please contact the member school to which you are applying.
Note: TST does not consider applications requesting entrance into its programs at the mid-point of the academic year (January).
Required Application Material
- Online form: Application Form
- Application fee: $110 CDN ($120 USD). The fee is payable by PayPal, a certified cheque drawn from a Canadian account made out to the "Toronto School of Theology", a Canadian money order, or by Visa Credit card. If the fee is paid in US dollars (e.g. from a US account or with a US money order), the USD fee applies. Click here for further payment information.
- Statement of intent: The applicant must submit a statement not exceeding 750 words outlining his or her academic interests and academic purposes. PhD applicants will be required to identify the nature of the research topic they would like to explore at TST, along with their methodological and theoretical approach(es). PhD applicants must also identify graduate TST faculty members who could support their research, and should indicate how their previous academic studies and language preparation have prepared them for this research area. A brief 2-3 page curriculum vitae may be submitted by all applicants.
- Writing sample: All PhD applicants must submit an academic writing sample (between 20 – 50 pages) as part of their application. This should be e-mailed as a PDF or MS Word file to the GCTS Office after the application form has been submitted.
- Evidence of facility in English: for applicants whose first language is not English. This evidence may be either (a) graduation with an Arts degree from a University where the language of instruction and examination is English; or (b) a satisfactory score in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic version, or the Certificate of Proficiency in English (COPE); or (c) a grade of B in the advanced (level 60) Academic Preparation course in the English Language Program of the School of Continuing Studies of the University of Toronto, or equivalent standing at a comparable institution. The TOEFL score required for students who take the computer-based test is 250. For those who take the internet-based test, a total score of 100 is required, with a minimum of 22 on the writing section and a 22 on the speaking section. A score of 600, with a 5.0 in the Test of Written English (TWE) is the minimum requirement for those who take the paper-based TOEFL. To request a registration package for TOEFL and TWE examinations, please write to: TOEFL/TWE Services, P.O. Box 6151, Princeton, New Jersey, U.S.A. 08541-6151 or telephone (609)951-1100 (or use the hyperlinks indicated here). The TST institution code 0655 and the department code 99 should be used. The TOEFL Bulletin of Information and Registration Forms can be obtained in a number of cities outside the U.S. through American embassies or consulates, or offices of the U.S. Information Services (USIS). The minimum IELTS score required is 7.0 (Academic) with no component below 6.5. Only the Academic version of the IELTS test will be accepted. The minimum COPE score required is 76, with at least 22 in every component and 32 in the writing component.
- Official transcripts: required from all postsecondary education, to be sent directly to the Admissions Committee, c/o Graduate Centre for Theological Studies, Toronto School of Theology. Transcripts issued to students or photocopies will not be accepted.
- Academic references: Two letters of academic reference, which are to be sent directly to the Admissions Committee, c/o Graduate Centre for Theological Studies, Toronto School of Theology. References issued to students or photocopies will not be accepted. TST does not provide a letter of reference form but asks that referees write a letter in which they comment candidly on the candidates' qualifications to pursue and complete graduate studies.
- GRE scores (optional). Applicants may submit GRE scores to support their applications. The Toronto School of Theology's institutional code is 0534.
A confirmation fee may be requested by the TST College of registration within a month of acceptance into an advanced degree program.
Thank you for visiting our website. To inquire further about the information on this page, or to report an error, please contact the GCTS Administrator.