Professional Associations




Canadian Association for Spritual Care

The Canadian Association for Spiritual Care (CASC):

  • is a national multifaith organization committed to the professional education, certification and support of people involved in pastoral care and pastoral counselling;
  • provides educational programs for lay persons and clergy who are preparing to become chaplains, pastoral counsellors, ministers, priests, or community based pastoral care workers;
  • provides education and certification for supervisors and specialists; and
  • is concerned with a holistic approach to health care and personal development with a special focus on spiritual and religious care.

Get more information on the CASC website.





The Toronto Centre for Pastoral Counselling Education

The Toronto School of Theology (TST) is affiliated with The Toronto Centre for Pastoral Counselling Education (TCPCE) which offers programs to assist clergy, candidates for ministry, and pastoral care workers develop a pastoral identity and appropriate skills in the delivery of pastoral care and counselling. Courses are "clinical" insofar as the participants engage in pastoral ministry under supervision. They are experiential, set in a wide variety of contexts using a process that follows the guidelines of the Handbook of TCPCE. A variety of programs include:

  • Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) units, either extended (part-time), full-time, or as a year-round residency.
  • Pastoral Counselling Education (PCE) units in the form of a work-place program and Pastoral Counselling Seminars.

Find out more on the TCPCE website.

TCPCE's instructors are adjunct faculty of TST. As well, TCPCE's programs and centres are accredited by CASC (see above) and follow a process that has stood the test of five decades in Canada.

TCPCE's courses are listed in the TST course calendar and may be taken for TST credit. For specific course offerings, please see the course calendar (the units are designated with a course code beginning "TSP"). Application for these units should be made to the supervisors through the TCPCE website. Students registering for CPE units register and pay tuition through a TST member college. For more information on registration procedures for CPE and PCE units, click here.